True Harmony Celebrants
COVID19 Funeral Guidelines
The Funeral Celebrancy Council (FCC) has issued guidelines to Celebrants, with regard to Corona Virus and funerals, to ensure we protect the health and welfare of not only ourselves, but also the bereaved people we serve, associated professionals we work with, our own families and friends, and wider society. We also believe it’s our duty to support the NHS by helping to flatten the curve of the spread of Covid-19.
I am totally committed, as always, to supporting the bereaved families I work with, and to ensuring continued professionalism in my work. But in line with the guidelines from the FCC, and to ensure we reduce the risk to all of us, I do need to change the way I interact with families and officiate at funerals, and I’d like to share those changes with you:
- Recommended hygiene procedures will, of course be followed at all times, such as regular washing of hands, use of hand sanitiser etc – and we encourage all mourners to follow the same guidelines.
- To support social distancing, family meetings will take place remotely – by Skype, Zoom, phone or email, depending on the client’s preference.
- Although this is very difficult, we should all refrain from physical contact, such as shaking hands or hugging, at funerals – instead, we can use Namaste greetings, or hand-on-heart gestures, to convey our support and compassion.
- I echo the advice given by many Funeral Directors that only small numbers of essential mourners should attend funerals, and that mourners sit well-spaced in the Chapel. Please ask your family and friends not to attend the service if they are unwell or are self-isolating for any reason.
It may be possible for the service to be recorded on video, to share with people who cannot attend, or webcast/online ceremonies are available at some Crematoriums. Check with the Funeral Director or myself in advance. I can also assist you with a Memorial Service, Ashes Scattering Service – or both – at a later date, when restrictions are lifted.
- I will no longer be chatting in close proximity with mourners before or after the service, but will ensure that the recommended distance of approximately 2 metres minimum is maintained, and mourners should be encouraged to maintain this distance also.
- I will not be handing out any business documents, such as Business Cards if they are requested by mourners, or hard copies of funeral scripts. I will, however, ensure that email copies of the final script are sent to Chief Mourners or their confirmed representative.
- It is recommended that hymn books and service sheets are not used – it may be possible to display lyrics etc on a screen instead. If you choose to have an Order of Service, you should check with the Funeral Director or Chapel Attendant if these can be distributed on your behalf, and any remaining copies collected after the service.
- In the event that I become ill and am unable to conduct the funeral service myself, I will contact another Celebrant from my network, and will request that they conduct the service, using my script which will have been pre-approved by the Chief Mourner.
Please contact me at any time to ask questions or raise your concerns – I am, as always, available by phone, text or email and will continue to support you in any way I can.
Why not get in touch and we can have a no-obligation chat about your Ceremony? I am based in Durham, and officiate at Ceremonies throughout the North-East, including County Durham, Teesside, North Yorkshire and Northumberland. But I will also travel further afield to help you celebrate your special day in True Harmony – just make that call.
I would rate True Harmony Celebrants 5*. We have amazing, love filled memories because of you; you’re caring and you worked perfectly with our needs and requests. Wouldn’t have been the same without you.
Glynis was amazing for our vow renewal, from the very start she was so friendly and professional, she made sure that she took the time to know a lot of information about us as a family to make our ceremony so much more personal to us! It was a beautiful ceremony.
That was exactly the send off I wanted for mum – it was perfect. You really listened when you came to meet us, and included all of our tales in the eulogy in a beautiful story .Your delivery is excellent and everyone said what a lovely service it was. Thank you so much.
Glynis, thank you for everything you did for my mother’s funeral. We thought the service was perfect from start to finish and people said it was what they would choose for themselves. You helped us through a very difficult time. Thanks again from me and Pauline.
Thank you from the bottom of our hearts – it was so special having you at the helm.
Glynis – what can I say but a huge thank you for making dad’s send off so special… you said everything we all thought in such a beautiful way ….I can’t say just how much you were appreciated by the whole family x
Where do I even start…. I can honestly say I have had a one in a kind wedding ceremony. My family and friends all commented about how gorgeous, personalised and amazing our wedding ceremony was compared to any other they had seen. The wedding ceremony is the most important part of the day and we could not have achieved any of that without you.
We feel that we had a connection with you from our first meeting. You even dressed the part and blended into our wedding colour scheme perfectly (yes I definitely noticed that lovely touch). We honestly could not thank you enough. We will recommend you till the cows come home. Thank you xx